|Who We Are > Careers|
Equal Opportunity Employer/ Americans with Disabilities Act
It is the policy of Neighborhood House that we acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a college community. We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons that are a part of our community and further strive to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Neighborhood House does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, genetics, or veteran status, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy complies with letter of applicable federal and local laws, including Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Job Title: Youth Outreach Specialist – Stephens Creek Crossing
Salary Range: $12.61 - $15.13 DOE
Hours: 25 hours per week (includes pro-rated benefits)
Department: Youth and Family Services
Closing Date: February 11, 2015
This position is a grant funded position.
This position is responsible for working with Stephens Creek Crossing middle school and high school students, engaging them in enrichment and recreational activities on and off Home Forward’s southwest Portland housing site.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in close collaboration with Neighborhood House Youth & Family Services team, Stephens Creek Crossing (SCC) Home Forward staff, and local schools for service coordination.
- Engage with older youth at SCC by providing mentorship, opportunities for community engagement, youth leadership, recreation, or enrichment activities.
- Organize and transport students to off-site community resources for activities at: Southwest Community Center, Middleman Jewish Community Center, Hillsdale Library, etc.
- Facilitate community events for youth, such as movie nights, talent shows, game nights, and/or drop-in homework help.
- Conduct outreach to local middle and high school administration, teachers and SUN School Coordinators to enhance services for SCC’s older youth.
- Refer SCC students to NH’s Wilson High School case management program or NH’s Robert Gray Middle School SUN activities as needed.
- Partner with summer offerings at SCC and local SUN Schools to engage students in positive summer activities, organize summer field trips, and facilitate summer program offerings for participating youth.
- Attend Neighborhood House departmental staff meetings, Neighborhood House all-staff meetings, SCC Home Forward staff meetings and occasionally participate in neighborhood events.
Education and Experience:
Associate’s degree and two (2) years’ experience working with middle school or high school-aged youth children; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must be available during evenings and occasional weekends.
Desire and ability to work with children and ensure an enriching, positive, and safe setting. Must possess a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
Ability to connect with and recruit youth participants to provide enrichment activities and homework assistance. Familiarity with Southwest Portland, cultures, and communities and/or working at a public housing community is preferred.
Strong organizational skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to work independently at community-based location.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultures and socio-economic communities. Must have the ability to work effectively with cross-cultural communities and understand current issues related to racial and ethnic diversity and poverty. Must have the ability to communicate effectively with those whose English language skills are limited. Excellent oral and written communication and ability to communicate professionally with clients, families, community members and co-workers. Ability to work as a team player. Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information.
Require own vehicle transportation, a valid driver's license, and car insurance acceptable to Neighborhood House's insurance provider.
Must pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
To apply, submit résumé and cover letter via one of the following methods –
firstname.lastname@example.org (job title must be in e-mail subject line)
Human Resources/ Youth Outreach Specialist – Stephens Creek Crossing
7780 SW Capitol Hwy.
Portland, OR 97219
For more information call Steve Johnson at 503-246-1663 ext. 1107