|Who We Are > Careers|
Equal Opportunity Employer/ Americans with Disabilities Act
It is the policy of Neighborhood House that we acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a college community. We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons that are a part of our community and further strive to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Neighborhood House does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, genetics, or veteran status, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy complies with letter of applicable federal and local laws, including Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Job Title: SUN School Program Assistant K-8 (Cesar Chavez)
Salary Range: $13.61 – 16.34 DOE
Hours: 16 hours per week
Department: Youth and Family Services
Closing Date: September 25, 2014
This position is responsible for assisting and supporting the SUN School Coordinator and daily operations of SUN School's extended-day activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in overseeing the flow of SUN activities and coordination of the daily programming between 2:00pm -5:00pm.
- Track SUN School class attendance on a daily basis and communicate with parents about their child’s attendance.
- Coordinate after-school supper program, providing meals for 100 students each day.
- Primary support for SUN School Coordinator in daily SUN programs and backs-up Coordinator in various areas, including facilities management, site coordination, SUN partner coordination, and safety.
- Help develop program materials, brochures, forms and registration materials.
- Act as substitute SUN Instructor when SUN staff are absent from program.
- Assist SUN School Site Coordinator with discipline and behavior intervention.
- Enter significant amount of data into the SUN School ServicePoint database for SUN classes and print reports relevant to SUN activities for SUN School Site Coordinator.
- Participate in Chavez SUN School events when necessary.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of experience working with elementary and middle school-aged youth or educational programs or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience working in a classroom setting with strong classroom management skills and natural leadership qualities. Strong organizational and time management skills.
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
Bilingual in basic level of Spanish and ability to translate and interpret orally in Spanish for families is required.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultures and socio-economic
communities. Must have the ability to work effectively with cross-culturally communities and understand
current issues related to racial and ethnic diversity and poverty. Must have the ability to communicate
effectively with those whose English language skills are limited. Excellent oral and written communication
and ability to communicate professionally with clients, families, community members and co-workers.
Ability to work as a team player. Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information.
Require own vehicle transportation, a valid driver's license, and car insurance acceptable to Neighborhood House's insurance provider.
Must obtain Food Handler’s Card and is reimbursed by Neighborhood House.
Must pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
To apply, submit résumé and cover letter via one of the following methods –
firstname.lastname@example.org (job title must be in e-mail subject line)
Human Resources/ SUN School Program Assistant K-8 (Cesar Chavez)
7780 SW Capitol Hwy.
Portland, OR 97219
For more information call Steve Johnson at 503-246-1663 ext. 1107